June 22, 2011

Sun Tea



A refreshing alternative to ice water is iced tea.  But who wants to heat up the kitchen even a little bit by boiling water?  Instead, use the natural power of the sun!  All you need are a clear glass pitcher or jar with a lid, water, and a couple of iced teabags.  Fill your pitcher or jar with cool water (I even put ice in to fill it up faster).  Then pop the teabags into the water.  My tea directions say to use 8 glasses of water with 2 teabags, but I don't measure.  If the tea comes out too strong, you can dilute it with more water.  Put the lid on the container and set it outside in a sunny spot for several hours.  I like to set it out in the morning and it's ready by lunch.  To serve, fill a cup with ice, then pour the tea over that.  Store it in the fridge. 


Hints: 


You should use a glass container so the BPA from plastic doesn't leach into your tea.  But I used a plastic pitcher, because I don't have a glass container that's big enough.  Shhhh, don't tell my Real Foodie blogging friends...


You really do need a lid for your container so you don't get bugs in your tea.  Unless you think you need the extra protein.