November 2, 2010

Big's Macaroni and Cheese

I always get nostalgic in the fall (who doesn't?) and I start missing the food from my childhood.  This is my grandfather's recipe.  He and my grandmother moved in with us when I was 8.  I have lots of fond memories of them.  I called both my grandfather and my grandmother "Paw Paw" until I was about 3.  My grandfather was 6'1", and my grandmother is about 5'1".  So I started calling him "Big Paw Paw" and her "Lit Paw Paw" (Lit as in little).  I'm not sure why I've always spelled it "paw paw", but I know I've done that since I could read and write.  As we grew older, my brother started shortening their names to just "Big" and "Lit".  Big died in 1997, but Lit is 89 years old.

Since I only make it about once a year, I just use the white pasta, but you could surely use whole wheat.  This tastes best when you let it sit a few minutes after baking.  It's also great cold. 
Big's Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1/2 lb elbow macaroni (uncooked)
2 cloves garlic, peeled, still whole
1 lb cheese (I love extra sharp cheddar), cut into 1/2" chunks
1 egg
1 cup milk
salt and pepper
shredded cheese for topping

Directions:

1.  Cook noodles with whole garlic cloves in boiling water until al dente.  Drain, discard garlic.

2.  Grease an oven-safe glass bowl (or other deep casserole).  Layer noodles with cheese chunks, finishing with noodles. 

3.  Combine milk, egg, salt and pepper.  Pour over noodles, filling all spaces.  Top with shredded cheese.

4.  Bake at 350 degreese until brown and bubbly (at least 30 minutes). 

5.  If you want a crust on top, preheat broiler.  Broil 2-3 minutes, or until browned.  (I love the crust!)

Oh man, just typing this post makes my mouth water!

Visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday for more great recipes.

2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Dem,
I live in the middle of nowhere as well. I need your Mac and Cheese to go with my Ribs. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.
Miz Helen

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

Looks great! I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday each week to share a recipe! Hope to see you there :)

Cristi
http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/