August 7, 2012

A Big Weekend and a Recipe for Grilled Broccoli

I haven't had time for updating much the past few days because we have been so busy!  On Thursday I took the kids into town to spend the weekend with my mom.  I did eat at a steakhouse, and I asked them to substitute sauteed spinach for the baked potato.  Friday we butchered the rest of our meat chickens, and for lunch I cut up some leftover grilled chicken, sauteed it in olive oil with fresh spinach, canned artichoke hearts, minced garlic, and a few sundried tomatoes.  It was so good I made it again Saturday.  Friday afternoon I cut a round steak into strips and threw them into the slow cooker with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.  When I got home, very late, my husband and I feasted on the meat, avocado, tomato, and corn for him.  The next day for lunch, after a big cattle drive, I served him the same meat over a bed of fresh spinach.  He loved it!  Sunday we picked up the kids and hosted a baby shower for my sister-in-law in town.  We served pulled BBQ beef and buns, fresh fruit and veggie trays, and many non-paleo goodies that I did not partake of.  Yesterday, at lunch I grilled a salmon fillet, potatoes, corn, and some fresh broccoli (see recipe below).  I also made a paleo caprese salad- sliced tomatoes and basil with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper.  Yum! 

The point is to show you how easy and delicious paleo food is.  There are endless possibilities, if you only give your imagination a chance.  Also, you don't have to eat the non-paleo food around you!  It is possible!


Grilled Broccoli

Ingredients
fresh broccoli, stalks removed, and cut into florets
butter
salt
pepper

Directions:
Heat your grill to high.  Rub butter on a piece of tinfoil.  Put broccoli on tinfoil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Fold the tinfoil over to make a packet, and crimp the edges so it stays closed.  Grill about 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

note: You can do this with frozen broccoli too.  Just steam it or microwave it to thaw it out, and grill for just a couple minutes per side.

No comments: