October 6, 2010

Honey Ice Cream

In an effort to reduce our consumption of refined sugars, I've been experimenting with natural sweeteners.  This Honey Ice Cream turned out better than I expected, especially when I added some peaches from the fruit crisp I made yesterday.  I used a dark honey, because that's what the hubby likes, but I'm sure a lighter honey would taste great too!

Honey Ice Cream
makes 1 1/2 quarts

1/3 cup raw honey
1/8 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup whole milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 Tbsp vanilla

Combine sugar, salt, and milk in saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture almost boils.  Reduce heat to low.
Gradually stir aobut 1/2 cup of hot milk into the beaten eggs.  Add eggs to remaining hot mixture.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Combine whiping cream, vanilla and chilled mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to combine.
Pour into canister and freeze as directed.

What's your favorite way to use honey?

No comments: