October 19, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

A few days ago I roasted some pumpkin seeds for the first time.  Pumpkin seeds are supposed to be a very healthy snack.  They were pretty tasty, although next time I might try seasoned salt.  I am proud to say I used a pumpkin from my garden (instead of letting it get really really old and too far gone to use and then just giving it to the chickens, which I have done maybe once...   okay, alot).  I also roasted the pumpkin halves and froze the flesh to use in bread or pie!  Yum!


First I cut the pumpkin in half.



Then I scooped out the seeds.



First rinse.  I manually separated the pulp from the seeds.



Laid them on a kitchen towel to dry.  Picked out remaining pulp.


Second rinse.


Laid them on another towel to dry overnight.  Went to sleep.



In the morning, I put the seeds on a baking sheet.  While making breakfast, I drizzled some butter and sprinkled some salt on the seeds.



I stirred the seeds with my handy spatula.

I baked them at 300 for about 45 minutes.  Stirred them again.  Baked another 5 minutes. 


Here is the final product:
My husband and I ate these in a day.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds:

Ingredients:

1 pumpkin
a couple teaspoons melted butter
a few pinches of salt

Directions:

1) Cut pumpkin in half.  Scoop out seeds into a colander.
2) Rinse seeds.  Pick out pulp and discard. 
3) Turn seeds out onto dish towel.  Pick out remaining pulp.
4) Rinse second time.
5) Turn seeds out onto clean dish towel.  Let dry 8 to 24 hours.
6) Spread seeds on baking sheet.
7) Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with salt.  Stir.
8) Spread seeds into single layer.
9) Bake at 300 for 45-55 minutes, stirring once.
10) Store in airtight container.

Linked to Tasty Tuesday

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Last year, I seasoned mine a couple different ways. I used some cajun spices with a little sugar on one group. De-lish! I still don't have pumpkins yet! I'll get some today!